- Pakistan: On 20 January 2016 a group of militants stormed the Bacha Khan University killing and injuring dozens of students and staff members. EUA would like to express its remorse for the victims and its solidarity with the university. The Association would also like to draw attention not only to the barbarity of these attacks, but also to the appalling reality that such attacks continue to happen around the world.
Press Release: Protect Universities from Attack (Pakistan)
- Turkey: EUA would like to express its concern for the academics in Turkey being investigated for expressing their views, under the petition “We Will not be a Party to this Crime”, on the conflict in the South-East region. EUA would also like to underline that, irrespective of the content of the petition, freedom of expression is a core university value and a sine qua non of democratic societies.
Press Statement: EUA deeply concerned about Turkey’s treatment of academics
- European Universities for an Open World: EUA launched a campaign calling on universities and their communities to reassert their commitment to the fundamental values of openness, tolerance and solidarity, by opposing any form of racism, discrimination and national stereotyping; by unreservedly committing to an open society. This campaign was launched to protect university values against the backdrop of the ongoing refugee crisis.
Press Release: European Universities for an Open World
- France: Many students, teachers and researchers are among the victims of the 13 November terrorist attack in Paris, and on behalf of the European university community EUA sends a message of solidarity and support to the French Conférence des Présidents d’Université (CPU) echoing their message “#Universitédebout – #NousSommesUnis.”
#Universitédebout – #NousSommesUnis
- Science4Refugees: EUA supports the European Commission’s “Science4Refugees” initiative to help refugee scientists and researchers find suitable jobs through the EURAXESS – Researchers in Motion portal.
EUA supports Science4Refugees
- EUA Statement on the refugee crisis: EUA Council called on policy makers at both EU and member state level and HEIs in Europe to enable refugee students to gain access to higher education.
Press Statement: European universities’ response to the refugee crisis
Press Release: EUA: “Enable refugee students to gain access to higher education
- Entry of third-country nationals for research, studies and training: EUA welcomes the initiative to revise the Directive on the conditions of third country nationals for the purpose of research, study, pupil exchange, remunerated and unremunerated training voluntary service and au pairing.
EUA Statement on the Visa directive
Following the terrorist attack that unfolded at Garissa University College in Kenya on 2 April killing 147 students, EUA encouraged all European universities to observe one minute’s silence on 27 April 2015 in remembrance of all those killed in and affected by the attack on Garissa and by other attacks on universities and university values around the world.
Press Release: Universities unite in one minute silence against violence
- France: In light of the recent attack against Charlie Hebdo, EUA wishes to express its solidarity with the families of the victims and associates itself with the statement of the French Rector’s Conference (Conférence des présidents d'université - CPU) in reaffirming the primacy of freedom of expression, a core university value.
EUA expresses solidarity with victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack